This challenge is all about Distress Photo Tinting, see page 41 of Tim Holtz Compendium of Curiosities. I have really enjoyed this challenge as I had to get out all the old family photos to choose one to use for my entry. I decided on this photo of my Mum, she is wearing a dress that she made, to impress my Dad I think. She was always sewing when my sister and I were little, if we saw a dress we liked out came the sewing machine and we were wearing her version of that dress the next day. My sister has followed her down the sewing route as she is now a fashion designer with her own company but although I can sew I prefer to play with ink and paper and card.
Anyhoo on with the challenge
I checked with my Mum who said the leaves on the dress were shades of green so I used peeled paint and shabby shutters, I photocopied the original onto glossy photo paper as I didn't want to damage it. I then cut the photo using the Spellbinders set Grand Labels Four and made a faux nestie out of kraft card which I then coloured with barn door, picked raspberries and ripe persimmon distress inks and then edged with walnut stain and mounted the photo onto the matt.
The background is a canvas panel that I sprayed with delusions inks and then used the Tim Holtz stencil Splatters with some grunge paste to give a little texture. Once the paste was dry I inked over the stencilling and round the edges of the canvas with walnut stain distress ink. I then wrapped some thin twine in three shades of green round the canvas and mounted the photo onto the twine.
I die cut several sewing items and distressed the edges with walnut stain distress ink, wound some green embroidery thread round the bobbin and added some black soot distress paint to the sewing machine. The scissors were cut from silver mirri card and sanded back then some black soot distress ink rubbed into the sanding and a little gold gilding wax added to the edges. I added mini fastener to make the hinge. These items were all added to the panel using silicon glue for added depth.
I die cut some pins from silver mirri card and added them and some die cut stitches to the panel. I used some chipboard letters from my stash to spell out Mum and added some stamping and distress inks before adding them to the panel and covering with glossy accents.
I'm going to give this to my Mum for the photo gallery she has on her sideboard in the lounge, I think she'll like it.
Thanks to the Curiosity Crew for all their inspiration, you can check this out on Linda Ledbetters blog, there are some wonderful examples of the technique shown there. Also thanks to The Funkie Junkie for sponsoring this challenge.