Saturday 17 May 2014

Compendium of curiosities challenge - challenge number 2

Hi all

Challenge number 2 is distress glitter, page 56 of the compendium .  Now,  as lots of people seem to be saying glitter is not really my thing, but distress glitter is a very soft glittery sparkle not all out in your face, so I must admit a liking for it.  However as I don't use it often I don't have many colours so I decided that the easiest way to do this would be to use inked or coloured card stock and rock candy distress glitter and then to ink over the top of it.  So here we go,


The MDF owl on a branch is from Pronty.  I covered the owl with paper from DCWVs' Teen Prints paper stack and added his chest from the same paper stack.  The eyes are some watch embellishments I found in my stash and I've backed the eyes with some cogs that I cut from black card and lightly rubbed with Pebeo gilding wax in both gold and silver,  I love this wax as its really soft and easy to apply and you can buff it to a lovely metallic shine after its applied.

The branch was covered in brown card that I embossed using the Sheena Douglas embossing folder Wood Panel, I also highlighted the embossing with walnut stain distress ink.  The leaves were covered with green card then I die cut leaves in a darker green using Sue Wilsons die set Fern Trio.  Some of these leaves were then covered in rock candy distress glitter and a little evergreen bough distress ink added to the ends of the leaves for a bit of depth. These were then attached to the twig.

The roses were made from papers in the Docrafts paper pack called Chronology.  I cut various flowers using Tim Holtz tattered florals die and Sue Wilsons classic rose die.  I then made them into 3D flowers and 'sugared' them by dabbing them with glue and scattering rock candy distress glitter on them.  These were then attached to the branch at the tops of the leaves.

A few more cogs scattered amongst the foliage finished off my piece, I may add some ribbon to the back so I can hang it on the wall.  Thanks to The Funkie Junkie Boutique for sponsoring this challenge and to Linda for hosting the series.

Lyn

4 comments:

  1. The clock eyes are perfect! Love the glittery foliage too...subtle! Cute owl! Thank you so much for playing along with us on the glittery challenge at CC3Challenge!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Your owl is such a cute idea! Love the glittery foliage and the beautiful roses! Those are so eye catching! Thanks for sharing your art with us at CC3C. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  3. aw I love what you did with the OWL!! He is seriously cute! Thanks for playing along with the CC3 Challenge x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi again! Just a quick note to say thank you so much for the very sweet comment you left on my blog about my faux tea roses canvas! It is much appreciated! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete