Friday 30 May 2014

Compendium of Curiosities 3 - Challenge 3

Hi all,

Challenge number three is the faux tea roses from page 65 of the Compendium of Curiosities.  Ive made flowers using several different methods and this is one of the easiest so far.  The lovely thing about this technique is you can make little tiny ones all the way up to big fat blowsy ones.  Well I set about making the flowers in blue as per the instructions of my daughter Caitlin as she decided that the finished project would be hers!





I used one of the large papier-mâché letters from Hobbycraft and embossed several sheets of white card using the Tim Holtz Riveted Metal texture fade then paper pieced them over the surface of the large letter.  I filled any gaps in the paper piecing with texture sand and allowed some of the sand to go over the surface to give more texture to the edges.  I then gessoed over the whole thing and allowed it to dry completely.

I painted the whole thing using a wash of paynes grey acrylic paint, then deco art quinacridone gold, this stuff is like liquid rust,  allowing the piece to dry between coats.  The next layer was a wash of deco art traditions blue green light again allowing this to dry.  Once this was dry I dabbled with neat  quinacridone gold and paynes grey to give more depth around the edges. Once this was dry a little dry brushing with gesso and I was a happy bunny!


The texture sand around the edges has given a lovely eroded look to some of the piece and the embossing shows really well with the dry brushed gesso.

The roses needed some foliage so I used the Tim Holtz die Garden Greens but trimmed all the leaves to make lots of thorns, these were cut out of textured silver foiled card along with some of the leaves from the tattered pinecone die.  Once I had attached the 'twigs' I placed the roses amongst them.  I also added a few metal leaves amongst the roses for a little more texture.



I think this has been my favourite challenge so far as I'm really getting into antiquing and rust at the moment, thanks again Linda for setting up these challenges, and thanks also to Inspiration Emporium for sponsoring the challenge.

Lyn

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful creation - I love the rusted metal effect and the prettiness of the roses... Thanks for playing along with the CC3 challenge x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice!! I love the profusion of roses and the rustic/feminine mix. Cool!! Hey, thanks for the nice comment on my blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the texture and effect that you did on your letter. Fabulous and your roses are so pretty. Thanks for playing along with CC3 Challenge!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this!!! The contrast of the metal with the roses is wonderful! Very cool! Thanks so much for joining for this rosy challenge at CC3Challenge!!!

    ReplyDelete