Wednesday 9 April 2014

A little bit Steampunk!

My daughter Caitlin is busy doing her final exams for her A levels at the moment and came home the other day and asked if I could make her some paper roses.  They had to be made with paper that had text on it as her project was about reading.

Anyway several hours later there were two sprigs of roses and three larger blooms sitting in my craft room.  Once she had finished the photo shoot I was graciously allowed  to have them back so I decided to have a play with them.

I have just completed Tim Holtzs' on-line Creative Chemistry 101 and Creative Chemistry 102 Courses and I was keen to try out some of the techniques that I learnt.  This one was to make something look old and rusty.

This is what I ended up with:


The canvas was first sprayed with distress re-inker that had been put into a small spray bottle and diluted with water.  once this was dry I used a stencil and stencil paste to put some texture down the left side of the canvas then laid some gilding flakes over the top and gently pressed them into the paste and left the paste to dry.  When this was dry I rubbed off the excess flakes which then revealed the shape of the stencil.

The scroll and the sentiment were stamped onto tissue paper, coloured and roughly torn from the sheet, rough edges look less obvious, then pasted onto the canvas with Slap It On matte from Indigo Blu.

To make the roses look rusty I wiped over the rose with aVersaMark ink pad then sprinkled vintage photo distress embossing powder onto the ink and melted it with a heat gun.  Distress powder has release crystals in it that can be rubbed off when the embossing is cool and gives a very shabby look, sooooo cool.  A little bit of Pebeo Renaissance gilding wax to touch the edge of the petal and hey presto old rusty metal roses, I love crafting!!!



These were then added to the canvas along with a couple of metal charms and a sentiment light bulb from Junkyard Findings.  To make the bulb looked cracked I covered it with rock candy distress crackle paint.

I think I may even hang this somewhere in the house.  I may have to fight with my daughter though as she has already laid claim to this one!  Well thats all for today. Thanks for looking.

Lyn






1 comment:

  1. Love what you have done with your roses also like your other works too. Found your blog over on Sue Wilson's, glad I did. Hazel

    ReplyDelete